Yellow Tongue: List of Causes and Treatment
Are you tired of reading numerous articles about yellow tongue available on the internet?
If yes, then don’t worry!
We will resolve your every query in this noteworthy guide that covers everything you need to know about the causes and remedies which can be taken to prevent a yellow tongue.
Stay with us till the end of the article to get the easiest and the most effective ways to cure a yellow tongue.
What is the yellow tongue?
Sometimes, the color of your tongue changes from pink to yellow. There is no harm to this yellow tongue, and often, it gets cures on its own over a few days.
There are many other causes for this color of the tongue like jaundice. If the color of the tongue is yellow due to jaundice, then it should be taken seriously and should be treated immediately.
Causes of yellow tongue
One of the most common causes of the yellow tongue is the accumulation of bacteria on the top of the tongue, which is due tongue not appropriately cleaned while brushing the teeth.
One of the other reasons for the yellow tongue is jaundice. Some of the causes of the yellow tongue are listed below:
- One of the causes of the yellow tongue is the development of a bump, which makes the size bigger. When you eat something, then food, bacteria get accumulated in these bumps, which makes your tongue yellow in color.
- When you regularly brush your teeth, it is also essential to clean tongue yellow. Otherwise, bacteria and dirt get accumulated on the tongue, which changes its color to yellow.
- When your mouth produces a lack of saliva, it is one of the causes of the yellow tongue because saliva helps in cleaning the tongue regularly. Less saliva in the mouth may occur due to some strong medicines.
- If a person smokes or eats tobacco, his or her tongue turns yellow due to the harmful substance that turns tongue yellow.
- If a person is using mouthwash too much, which contains menthol in it, there is a chance that his or her tongue turns yellow.
- If y oar consuming some medicine having bismuth as a content, it will turn the color of your tongue to yellow.
Time to consult the doctor?
Every time your tongue turns yellow doesn’t mean you should consult your doctor. But you need to consult your doctor if you also see the below-mentioned symptoms along with a yellow tongue.
- If you are getting blood in stools, you should consult your doctor.
- If you are suffering from high fever
- If you are having regular vomiting.
- If you are feeling pain in your tongue
- If the yellow color of your tongue is not getting cured in a period of 2 to 3 weeks.
Yellow tongue – A sign of severe disease?
If the color of your tongue changes to yellow due to jaundice, then you should consult your doctor immediately. Otherwise, you may fall prey to any of the below-mentioned problems.
- You can have a problem with swelling in legs.
- The major problem of liver cancer can develop in your body.
- The size of the spleen can increase.
- You may develop the problem of liver failure.
Treatment for yellow tongue
To cure the problem of the yellow tongue, below mentioned treatments should be adopted.
- A person having a yellow tongue should stop smoking cigarettes.
- A person should regularly brush his or her teeth thrice a day.
- To treat the problem of the yellow tongue, a person should brush their teeth thrice a day with a soft brush and with toothpaste having fluoride content in it.
- The person should consult their dentist twice in a year for regular check-ups of oral hygiene.
- To improve oral hygiene, a person should quit eating sweets or chocolates.
- If you are suffering from this problem due to less amount of saliva in the mouth, you can consult the doctor and tell him to change the medicines.
- Doctors can prescribe mouthwash, which can help you increase the amount of saliva in your mouth.
- To get rid of the problem of dry mouth, a person should drink lots of water in a day.
- A person should quit the consumption of alcoholic beverages or caffeine to get rid of mouth dryness problems.
- A person should regularly chew the chewing gums to produce a sufficient amount of saliva in the mouth.
- If you have a habit of breathing via mouth while asleep, then you should install a humidifier in the bedroom so that the air in your bedroom has a moisture content in it.
- If the yellow color of the tongue is due to jaundice, then you should consult your doctor and ask a prescription for treating jaundice.
- If the yellow tongue is due to a liver problem, then it is better to opt for a liver transplant.
Prevention of yellow tongue
It is always advisable that the prevention of any disease is better than cure. Here are the few remedies to prevent the occurrence of the yellow tongue.
- A person should stop smoking cigarettes as soon as possible.
- To prevent the occurrence of the yellow tongue, a person should brush their teeth thrice a day to maintain oral hygiene.
- A person should consume such a diet which has fiber content in it.
Final Verdict for Yellow tongue of Humans
It is imperative to understand that the remedies which you should follow if you are suffering from the yellow tongue in your mouth so that you can cure this disease before it becomes dangerous and irritating for your body.
In this guide, we have tried to cover the symptoms, causes, treatment, and prevention for the particular disease of the yellow tongue.
That’s not all! It should always be kept in mind that all these methods should not be done regularly, as this will affect the natural process of the body.
Also, it should always be kept in the mind that one should not practice this without consulting any physician as they can have a reverse effect on the body of the individual.
Apart from these methods to treat this disease, there are other natural ways that you can adopt, like doing regular exercises or yoga, which can remove impurities from your body and decrease the production of bacteria in your mouth.
Sharing is caring! Your love and support motivates us!